Saturday, June 26, 2010

Nagpur


Picture: Street in Nagpur where I went shopping.

Two hour flight to Nagpur. The women I sat next to was one of those obnoxious types. Her arm was in my space the entire time and she kept touching me and not moving away. Whatevs.

Towards the end, she went to the bathroom and the young man on the end switched and sat in the middle. I could tell right away that he wanted to talk to me. I had been getting a lot of stares all morning, especially at my hair. We struck up a conversation. I never quite caught his name. It was Indian and started with an S. I told him about SEARCH and what I studied and he told me about what he had studied, though it was kinda confusing. I think it was engineering, but he wanted to switch to law. He asked for my email address. He seemed like a genuine young man from India who was eager to learn about Westerners, so I agreed and gave it to him. We seemed about the same age. I found out he was 28. Don't worry Ben, I don't have a new Indian boyfriend.

Upon our arrival in Nagpur I explained to him that a driver would be there to pick me up. I also explained that I had lost my luggage and needed to check in at the Air India desk about it. He was so worried about me and he offered to drive me to SEARCH. "No, no," I said, "I really have a driver coming." Still he wanted to make sure the driver was actually there, so he came out to the curb with me. Thankfully, there was a man there holding a sign with my name. I felt so special!!! (There was a long string of drivers there, perhaps 40. I think Nagpur is a popular business destination, as many men on the plane looked like they were dressed to do business).

I went to tell the driver about my bag, but he didn't speak English! It was interesting because everyone I had encountered so far spoke English and I assumed that SEARCH would send an English-speaking driver. My new friend was still standing there and he asked the driver if he could take a picture of us on his iphone. He seemed really excited to have met me. I didn't think that was so bad so I agreed to it. Then my new friend starting speaking in Hindi to the driver and explaining the bag situation. After calling SEARCH to also inform them about the lost bag, my new friend and I went to the Air India desk. My new friend told me that the driver had asked who he was. (From the way we were talking and taking photos together it must have seemed like we went way back). My new friend told me that he told the driver he was my friend. I rolled my eyes and said, "Nooo! I can't believe you did that."

Fortunatley, my new friend was really helpful at the Air India desk. He interpreted everything the man was saying to me and helped me write down some numbers. Again, I felt as if a higher presence had sent someone my way to help me out. When we were done my new friend said he was going to SEARCH with me. "You can't!" I said, "You have to be invited." I told him that I needed him to ask the driver if he could stop at a store to pick up some clothes. Up until now I was only wearing a black tank top, which was somewhat ok in Mumbai and just culturally tolerable in Nagpur. I could not show up at SEARCH in only a tank top.

We walked back to the driver and the car. I got in with my luggage. My new friend and the driver spoke in Hindi again. All of a sudden my new friend started getting into the car! "He is not my friend! He is not my friend" I laughed. The driver smiled. I think by now he had figured out we just met on the plane, but I also think he realized that my new friend was serving as an impromptu interpreter. So off we went to downtown Nagpur. I had a lot of fun talking with my new friend. He told me a lot about where he is from and what cities in India he often travels to. He worked for a company that had several regional offices and he traveled around to them. While I am sure that my family who is reading this is freaking out that I let a stranger into the car, I just want to say that I tried my hardest to not let this guy help me out so much. However, this is how Indian culture is. Like I said before, they treat guests like gods. My new friend even used that expression when I told him he didn't have to come shopping with us.

When we got to the commercial streets it was only 9:30am. We had to wait a half hour before the stores opened. We walked up and down the street a bit, and sat in the car for awhile talking some more. My new friend said I looked like Mona Lisa. That's actually funny because both Kayla and I have received that comment before. People also said it to me in Paris. He decided he was going to call me Mona Aliza. At one point I started getting really thirsty. It was pretty hot for the morning. When I asked my friend if there were any vendors with mineral water he took me to a store and bought me some water and a red bull energy drink. Haha, I never drink red bull, but I had a few sips of it anyway.

Finally the stores opened. We went into one where the salesman was so excited to see me. I'm telling you, they really fawn over fair skinned people. I was looking to buy two salwar kameez which is the modernized sari. It is a pair of pants, a tunic, and a scarf. Often, the scarf and the pants have the same print, and the whole outfit is a matching ensemble. The salesman started throwing salwar after salwar onto the counter. He was really eager to find ones that suited my taste. I had to try several on before I found some that fit. Indian girls are much smaller than me. Finally, I found two sets to my liking. My new friend and the driver helped me negotiate a better price. I'm telling you, my new friend was coming in handy. My new friend also told me he wanted to buy the clothes for me as a gift, but that is where I drew the line. Email: ok. Picture: ok. (I knew I was going to take tons of unconsented photos during the summer). Buying my clothes: I don't think so. I didn't want to receive any emails in the future telling me I owed him a favor. I politely declined and pushed my money into the salesman's hands before my new friend could do anything.

Afterwards we had to wait a bit because the stores often do on-site alterations and they were going to add sleeves for me. They said it would take 10 minutes. The salesman sped off on his moped to the tailor. My new friend asked the driver to call his car service company and get him a car to bring him to work. My new friend and I chatted a bit more and then parted ways. I still never caught his name or his email address, but he said he would email me. He asked me to come hang out with him in Nagpur. I told him I would only be able to come if I came along with lots of other friends....(To note: he has not emailed me yet. If he does I will probably keep it over email. Besides, it would be very difficult to get back to Nagpur).

The salesman came back with the clothes and the driver and I took off for SEARCH.

4 comments:

  1. Only one day in India and you are having enough to last all summer. Love, Dad. P.S. You are right. I am wondering why you would let a stranger into the car with you. But you are there and I am here so you need to use your best judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine that - getting new clothes and havingthem altered in an hour! Maybe you didn't need to bring a suitcase at all.
    I can't wait to hear your impressions of the drive from Nagpur to SEARCH.
    By the way, this is one family member that is not freaking out. Every friend I have was a stranger at some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As your grandma, and your grandpa, too, we were very uncomfortable about "your young man". It turned out o.k., so all is well. I cannot believe Terry would feel the same way about Chana, forgetting the age difference.
    Your Aunt Miriam met someone in Israel when she was over there for a six week trip, I think it was after her junior year in high school. He was Arab and even went so far to send her a piece of jewelry (a cross with a jewish star) when she got home. Even with all the miles between them, it made us wary.

    YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL!

    Love, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story and a good reminder of the kindness of strangers. My default mechanism is never to talk to anyone I don't know, but I forget how often there are just kind people in the world that are happy to help you out if you let them. And I'm also totally impressed with the speedy alterations! And by moped no less! :)

    ReplyDelete