Saturday, June 26, 2010

On the Up and Up

My second flight, the one from Frankfurt to Mumbai was entirely pleasant. My airplane buddy and I arrived back to the gate around the same time. We were not going to sit in the same seats as the first flight (we had been in row 50), but for the most part passengers had been assigned the same compartment. By chance, or perhaps someone was looking out for me, my airplane buddy and I ended up sitting in Row 47 together. To make things even better no one came to sit in the seat between us. We were able to spread out a bit- something to be happy for on your second 8 hour flight.

I found out my airplane buddy was named Meera. I know her last name too, but will refrain from writing it here, in case that breaks some privacy rule or something. Also, I haven't mentioned yet that she was probably in her 60's.

I spent most of the flight snacking, sleeping, and watching the movie Invictus. Good movie. (On a side note, the sound had not worked on the first flight to Frankfurt which was another reason I had trouble calming myself down. Eventually I ad-libbed my way through two comedies.)

Occasionally Meera and I would talk. Towards the end of my flight I took out my packet on SEARCH and showed her more details about my internship. She told me she thought it was great that I was coming to India to do this. She said she hoped to find a way to volunteer once she settled into her home. She gave me her phone number and told me that I was more than welcome to come spend some time at her house on the beach. This is how Indian culture is. I read before traveling that they treat guests like gods. I'm not sure if I will actually go to stay with her, but I will probably call her at some point and tell her how things worked out.

Around 10:30pm Indian Standard Time we arrived in Mumbai. Meera also had to go to the domestic terminal, so she said she would help me. She stayed with me while going through customs. It was easy enough, with my tourist visa and all, I only got two suspicious glances, but the official passed me through after I told him I was a graduate student.

No comments:

Post a Comment